Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Image Search Engines & Collections
General Search Engines with image searching options
Specialized Image Collections
- AP Images- Associate Press stock photography
- Smithsonian Images - contemporary and historical images from the Smithsonian museums
- NY Public Library Digital Gallery -Spanning a wide range of historical eras, geography, and visual media, NYPL Digital Gallery offers digital images of drawings, illuminated manuscripts, maps, photographs, posters, prints, rare illustrated books, and more.
- Life Photo Archive - historical photos from Life Magazine
- Behold - searches for high quality Flickr images based on what is inside the image
- American Memory
- MSNBC - see "the week in pictures"
ARTstor is a large collection of digital images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and sciences from museums, photographers, libraries, scholars, photo archives, and artists and artists' estates. Click on the ARTstor logo to begin your search.
Search these databases to find images.
Oxford Art Online
Covers all aspects of Western and non-Western visual art.
Art Full Text
This database offers full text plus abstracts and ind In addition to articles, Art Full Text indexes reproductions of works of art that appear in indexed periodicals.
Art Index Retrospective
Covers the years 1929 to 1984. Continued by Art Full Text.
Databases with Images
These databases include images along with the text.
Academic Search Premier
To search for an image: On the top toolbar, click More. From the resulting drop-down menu, select Images. The Image Collections Search Screen appears. Enter your search terms for the image you want in the Find field (for example: mountains). Your search term must match exactly a word in the title or caption of an image; the search term mountains does not yield the same results as the search term mountain range. You can use Boolean terms to further specify your search. (For example: mountains and rivers.) Select from the available Image Collection or Image Quick View Collection categories to narrow the focus of your search. If you make no selections, all categories are searched. Click Search. A Result List consisting of thumbnail images with brief descriptions appear
New York Times Historical Newspaper
Covering national and international news this includes full page images of the New York Daily Times (1851-1857) and the New York Times (1857-2007). Limit document type to: comic, editorial cartoon, photo standalone.
Search the Catalog for Images
Search tips for finding images in books using Primo:
- Use a word or short phrase that describes your topic and add the word pictorial
- Use a word that describes your topic and add the words "in art"
- In the record of a book, there may be a note indicating plates, ports., ill. or illus which means there is visual material.
- Some topics, like art, will generally have images accompanying the text.
- Look for exhibition catalogs.