Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
ARTstor is a large collection of digital images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and sciences from museums, photographers, libraries, scholars, photo archives, and artists and artists' estates. Click on the ARTstor logo to begin your search.
Password Protected Folders
To view a password-protected folder,
- Log in to your ARTstor account.
- Click Find > Unlock password-protected folder.
- Enter your name and the password the folder owner gave you. Click Submit.
- To view the unlocked folder, now click Find > Browse image groups. The unlocked folder will appear in this list.
With a password-protected folder, registered users can
- unlock to view
- unlock to edit
- add/view notes
Creating an image group
- Select images by single-clicking image thumbnails. The thumbnail border will change color to indicate your selection.
- In the ARTstor navigation menu click Organize > Save selected images to > New image group. Or, you may right- (or Control-) click with your mouse to display a shortcut menu. Right-click Save selected images to > New image group.
- A new window will open displaying a list of the folders available to you. Click a folder title to choose a destination for your image group
- Click Save at the bottom of the window to save your changes.
To add additional images to this group
- Select images. Click Save selected images to > Existing image group.
- In the new window that opens, click the plus sign (+) next to a folder title to expand its contents. Then, click the desired image group title.
- Click Save or Save & Open to save the additional images to the group.
To link to an image group
- Open your image group.
- In the top navigation click Share > Generate image group URL
- In the dialog box that appears, use the Ctrl- (or ) C keyboard shortcut to copy the URL value to the clipboard.
- Use the Ctrl- (or ) V keyboard shortcut to paste the URL value into the destination browser, email, web page, or other electronic document.
- When ARTstor users click on this link, they will be taken to the first image in your group, displayed in the Image Viewer window. They can use the navigation arrows in the bottom right corner to scroll through the group. Please note: Users clicking this link must be within an authorized IP range to view the image, such as on-campus, or have a registered ARTstor user account.
Searching ARTstor for Native American Art
Browse: This method is an attempt to help you navigate the breadth and depth of ARTstor's offerings of Native American Art.
Browse a collection.
- Native American Art and Culture (National Anthropological Archives, Smithsonian Institution) includes historical photographs and drawings of Native Americans in the United States. There are almost 12,000 images. Within this category there is a breakdown by tribe.
Browse by featured group: Interdisciplinary Topics
- Native American Studies has historic photographs, including ceremonial scenes and studio portraits of individuals and tribal delegations, as well as ledger drawings and artifacts of material culture such as baskets, textiles, tools, masks, and costumes, illustrate the experiences and cultural traditions of Native Americans.
Search: There are two ways to search ARTstor for Native American Art.
- Keyword Search - Enter your keyword(s) in the search box and click Go.
- Advanced Search
- Go to the ARTstor navigation menu and click Find > Advanced search.
- For multiple words,use quotes to indicate exact search terms. Ex. "native american"
- Limit geography to North America.
- Choose a classification. If you're looking for masks, pipe bowls, vessels, figures, etc., select sculpture. For blankets, bowls, spoons, baskets, jars, etc., choose the classification" Decorative Arts, Utilitarian Objects and Interior Design."