Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
You have a choice of writing a 8-10 page research essay or a digital humanities project on the histories of racial discrimination in the Pacific Northwest.
If you choose to do research about the university and want to use the Archives, make an appointment with the Archives staff by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Archives during open hours.
In addition to the Archives & Special Collections at Puget Sound, there are a number of local institutions with their own Archives & Special Collections.
The Tacoma Public Library's Northwest Room has an extensive collection of material documenting life in Tacoma and the Pacific Northwest as well as a small collection of early printed books.
The Washington State Historical Society collects material documenting the history of Washington State.
Digital Humanities Tools
Below are some ideas for a digitial humanities project. The tools are free but may require an account.
- Record an interview
- Use audio or video to interview marginalized individuals. You can check out recording equipment at the Technology Services desk on the lower level of the library.
- Create a timeline
- Use Timeline JS to document events and provide historical context.
- Examples of three student timeline projects using the bulletin, student newspaper, and yearbooks.
- Analyze image
- Use Thinglink to analyze images and provide context.
- Tell a story about a community of color using maps
- History Pin
- Search Tacoma for examples of student projects.
- StoryMap JS
- Social Explorer
- A research tool designed to provide access to historical census data and demographic information. It creates maps and reports to help users visually analyze and understand demography and social change throughout history.
- Create a graphic with data and images
- . Write a digital essay
- WordPress - Write a blog and include images, video, etc.