Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
ARTstor is a large collection of digital images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and sciences from museums, photographers, libraries, scholars, photo archives, and artists and artists' estates. Click on the ARTstor logo to begin your search.
There are two main methods of finding images in ARTstor: searching or browsing.
Browsing by Geography
On the front page of the Digital Library, go to Browse area in the lower left corner and click Geography.
Go to the ARTstor navigation menu and click Find > Browse ARTstor by > Geography.
- The Browse page will open, displaying a list of country names. The number in parenthesis next to each country name indicates the number of images with that country term applied to the data record.
- You may browse by classification within a country:
- To expand a country name, click the plus sign (+). A list of classification sub-categories will be displayed.
- To collapse an expanded country, click the minus sign (-).
- To view the images associated with a country or classification within it, double-click on the country name or the classification.
Use the keyword search to run a basic search for images. If you retrieve too many images, you can refine your search.
- Enter another search term and from the drop-down options choose Within this search result. Click Go.
- Or you can filter by selecting classifications, geographic locations, or dates, when applicable.
The advanced search option allows you to narrow your results by:
- words and phrases
In addition to searching the open web, try these licensed databases to find images.
Art Online (Oxford)
Has an option to search images only. Also great resource for information about styles, periods, and designers.
You can limit your search to images only.
Academic Search Premier
Go to "more" then "images" to find images in magazines, newspapers, and journals
Research Library (ProQuest)
Draws images from scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines and newspapers covering all academic subject areas. Limit document type to your choice of image.
A journal archive with fulltext articles, including images. Choose the advanced search option. Search by keyword and change the drop down menu from fulltext to caption.