Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Sound Writing is the official writing handbook on campus, written by student writing advisors and specifically tailored to the needs of Puget Sound students and their faculty.
In addition to supporting the development of successful academic writing skills, Sound Writing also includes sections on research methods, writing in the disciplines, and more.
The preliminary edition of Sound Writing provides help with three citation styles: MLA, APA, and Chicago (notes & bibliography).
Current Edition: August 2017
Get Help at CWL
The Center for Writing & Learning (CWL), located in Howarth 109, offers students opportunities to get help on all aspects of the writing process. Services include:
- Writing Advisors who are selected through a rigorous application process and who are specially trained to help students get started on a paper, organize their thoughts, or improve their editing skills.
- Peer Tutors in a wide range of subjects who are nominated by professors in their disciplines and who are specially trained to help students individually or in small groups.
- Language Partners who work with multilingual students to help them navigate the conventions and quirks of academic English writing.
- Academic Consultants who are specially trained to help students improve their time management skills, organization, study skills, and test-taking strategies.
Citation Style for Philosophy
There is no one standard citation style used for research papers in Philosophy. Commonly used styles are Chicago, MLA, or APA. Remember to always check with your professors first to confirm the style you should be using and be consistent!
Chicago Manual of Style Online
Call Number: Electronic Resource
The Chicago Manual of Style Online is completely searchable and easy to use, providing quick answers to your style and editing questions. The Q&A content is fully searchable along with the content of The Chicago Manual of Style. The Chicago Manual of Style Online also provides convenient Tools, such as sample forms, letters, and style sheets.
MLA Handbook by
Call Number: LB2369 .M52 2021 Reference
Publication Date: 2021
The latest (9th) edition of the "official" guide!
Writing Philosophy Papers
Philosophical writing differs from other writing. Consult these writing guides for advice on writing philosophy papers.
Doing Philosophy by
Call Number: B52.7 .F45 2008 Print Books
Publication Date: 2007
This brief text is designed to assist students with no previous formal background in writing philosophy papers.
Writing Philosophy Papers by
Call Number: B52.7 .S44 2009 Print Books
Publication Date: 2008
Written specifically for philosophy students, this book leads you through every aspect of writing philosophy papers and is an invaluable tool for any philosophy class that includes writing assignments.
Citations are key to participating in the scholarly community. They are a way to converse with other scholars, but they also:
- Give fair credit to others for their ideas, creations, and expressions.
- Back up claims and statements.
- Provide a way for an interested reader to learn more.
- Support academic integrity.
Consult Citation Tools to learn more about different citation styles. Collins Library also supports two knowledge management tools: RefWorks and Zotero.