Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Start Your Research at the Library!
Use this guide to get started with your research for
ENGL 381: Major Authors: John Milton
Image from the first illustrated edition of Paradise Lost, 1688. British Library.
Some Advice from Your Friends in the Library
- Start Early! Work on your project consistently each and every week, so that materials have time to arrive from other libraries and we can answer your questions when you still have sufficient time to thoughtfully revise your work.
- Seek out a variety of sources: books, essays in books, journal articles.
- Use a variety of search tools: Primo, multiple databases, sometimes even Google Scholar.
- Keep careful notes on all of your sources. If an online knowledge management tool like Zotero or RefWorks is not for you, make sure that any system that you do use is thorough.
- Contact a librarian whenever questions arise. Quick questions can be answered via email; more in-depth questions can be handled best with an appointment.